Friday, December 2, 2011

Rather late...

I am deeply sorry for the mass delay in updates. I've been feeling pretty miserable about the whole experience recently and ready to call it quits early next year. I'm not enjoying the diet or the job I am doing here in Finland. It breaks me to admit my big dream has come crashing down around my ears as I realise the golden bubble I had built for this country has popped. Please excuse my numerous metaphors. I miss my family, my friends and my mother tongue too much to make it even close to a year so I think I may settle for 6 months or so. I don't enjoy spending 30 hours a week with two children, as much as they can be lovely and their family has been very welcoming. 
I want to find my career path, and sooner rather than later. I want to be with my family, they are my world and I feel lost without them around me. And I want my friends. The loneliness I have experienced here is often overwhelming. I'm not the kind of person to start chatting to a stranger and the Finns are definitely not that kind of nation either. But they are certainly a hard social group to breach when making friends outside of school or work. And especially so for someone who has trouble making the first move and breaking the ice.
This has ultimately been the killer for my experience here. I want to be with people my own age as much as I used to, and spending so many hours alone far from others is not ideal. Especially when you're earning a pittance in a very expensive country. 
I need that closeness I had and have to people in the UK. I feel like everything I thought I lacked at home is now exactly what I want back and it's taken me leaving, for me to see what I had and took for granted. This is a bit rambling, and I apologise but I think you ought to hear from me why there have been no posts in so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment