Monday, October 3, 2011

Post (Office)

So for my language class at the city's library every Tuesday night I have to have a small, not even 200 page textbook. Why are these points so relevant? Because in a bookshop I would have had to pay nearly €40 for this book! Luckily we found it online for just under €30 but still, I expected it to be the equivalent of about £15 not double that! It's insane how expensive this country is. 
Anyway, I am getting off topic. This evening I had to walk to the local post office to pick up my new textbook, just in time for my second class tomorrow night. Finnish post is very interesting.
You need to include a 'Priority' or 'Economy' sticker on everything. 
Everyone has a tiny post box but you have a note or letter telling you where to collect your parcel, unlike in the UK where you have to be home to hear sometimes a non-existent knock of the postman with your package. 
You can buy boxes and packing envelopes with the iconic blue Marimekko poppy pattern or various images of the Moomins. This I found amazingly cool and wondered if it would be truly sad to buy one of such boxes for storage at home. Perhaps not. 
Also, I like the easily spotted blue or bright orange 1st and 2nd class post boxes. Not as awesome as the Royal Mail red ones but hard to miss. The postal vans are white with blue and orange spots to match, though you don't see many. The post always seems to arrive very early. Oh and last week I had to collect a parcel from a shop! Our nearest shop, for all your minor conveniences and more, also acts as a collection point for packages not sent through Posti, the blue and orange service generally recognised. 
Pretty cool right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment